There are many topics of importance in this election, including getting to know the candidates and what they stand for. One thing that is important to me is our cycling / active transportation network, and ours needs some work. We have a great connection between Orchard Park, Inlet Centre (city hall, rec centre, library, Newport, Suter Brook), Rocky Point Park and Moody Centre, but outside of that main artery, it is rather unfriendly, especially for cycling families and recreational use.
So to raise awareness, I am challenging all Port Moody candidates to join Go by Bike Week. This is a fun challenge from October 3-9 — see below for how to register. Learn more here: https://www.bikehub.ca/bike-events/go-by-bike-week
By declaring a climate emergency, our goal for mode share (% of trips made by Port Moody residents via walking, cycling, and transit) shifted to 2030 from 2045. The Climate Action Plan goal is: By 2030, residents walk, cycle, or take transit for 40% of trips. Go by Bike Week is a great opportunity to encourage active transportation and work on this goal.
How to register for Go by Bike Week:
- Go to www.bikehub.ca/gbbw and sign up for free.
- Enter your user information.
- Join our Organisation: Engineered Bodies Strength & Conditioning
- Join my team: Sam4PoMo
- Connect Strava to import your bike rides or enter your route and distance manually under “Log My Ride” at bikehub.ca/gbbw
- Log your route every day you ride.
- Stop by a Celebration Station on your ride to and from work – HUB Cycling will be waiting with free snacks, basic bike maintenance, cycling maps, prizes, and smiles!
See you out there!